29 February 2016 – the release date of the Peter Rabbit 50p – will go down in the record books as one of the most remarkable days in coin collecting history.
Because in just a few days all 15,000 coloured Silver Proof Peter Rabbit 50ps had SOLD OUT – making it the fastest selling and most popular Silver UK 50p coin EVER.
And they could have sold more – thousands of collectors were left disappointed. Nowadays, on the rare occasion a coin comes up for sale, it will go for around £400 on Ebay. Not a bad return for a coin that originally cost £55!
WIN this Peter Rabbit Coloured Silver 50p!
Now, one year on, we have managed to get hold of one of these ultra-rare coins in pristine condition (with all original packaging) and here’s how you can WIN it…
Simply enter your details below and we will draw one luck winner out of the hat on 5 April 2017. It’s that easy – so good luck and fingers crossed!
Unfortunately the competition is now closed – the winner has been notified by email.
Terms & Conditions
1. No purchase is necessary to enter.
2. The draw will take place on 5 April and the winner will be notified on that day by email to the email address provided.
3. The winner will receive the “Peter Rabbit Coloured Silver 50p”. There is no cash alternative.
4. Participants agree to meet reasonable requests to assist publicity if required.
5. The prize draw is promoted by The Westminster Collection, trading division of 288 Group Ltd.
6. Employees of 288 Group and their families are not eligible to enter.
The Royal Mint have released 1.4 billion brand new £1 coins into circulation in what is the single biggest change to the UK’s coinage since decimalisation.
It is, of course, a much anticipated day for coin collectors keen to own one of the first coins. But with enough £1 coins entering circulation for everyone in the population to own more than £20’s worth, the standard circulation coin will be two a penny – well at least two a pound.
That’s why serious collectors are looking to mark this numismatic milestone with something a bit more special – one of the collector editions being released by The Royal Mint, several of which have edition limits that seem certain to sell out quickly.
Here’s your guide to the most collectable versions of the new 12-sided £1 coin.
Perfect Quality. Very Affordable.
Of course, quality is everything for coin collectors, which is why The Royal Mint is producing a collector quality base metal version of the new 12-sided £1 coin. Unlike the coins you’ll find in your change, these pieces have been specially struck and carefully handled to ensure that they remain free of the scratches and chips found amongst their circulating counterparts.
Known as Brilliant Uncirculated (BU), they are available for £9.99 in a Royal Mint Presentation Pack or £5.99 in a Change Checker Certified Brilliant Uncirculated Collector Card.
Silver Proof – the Collector’s Favourite
Perhaps the most important of the Collector Editions is the Silver Proof £1 Coin. Silver Proof coins have all of the qualities that collectors really desire.
- Precious metal content – struck from 925/1000 Sterling Silver with 24 Carat Gold-plate to create the outer ring.
- Strict Limited Edition – just 25,000 individual coins. That’s HALF the number of Silver Proof £1 Coins that were issued for the original Round £1 Coin in 1983.
- Perfect Proof Finish – even better than Brilliant Uncirculated, Proof coins are struck several times using specially polished dies to create a flawless finish with a perfect mirrored background and frosted design. The ultimate in coin quality.
Double the thickness. More than five times as limited.
For silver collectors looking for something even more collectable, the double thickness Piedfort edition is likely to be the first of the £1 sell-outs.
That’s because collectors not only own a rare double-thickness new £1 coin but there are just 4,5000 of them – less than five times the maximum mintage for the standard £1 silver proof.
The Gold Standard
For the ultimate limited edition, you can own the Gold Proof £1 Coin. Struck from 22 Carat Gold with a red gold outer ring, just 2,017 single coins have been authorised for issue.
Due to its very limited nature, we will contact you directly to discuss owning the Gold Proof £1 Coin if you are interested – please complete the form below.
Sign up here if you would like to be contacted about the Gold edition:
If you’re interested…
You can own one of the special Collector Edition 12-Sided £1 Coins today, click here to view the full range.
Coming soon in 2017 – a remarkable British Royal Jubilee celebrated for the first time ever. Watch the video now…